Saturday, September 23, 2017

Mushroom Moments


MOD September 2012
On the cover: Sarah Geronimo

This article, “Mushroom Moments” (pp. 44-47), I enjoyed writing. Well, because I like mushrooms. And because I dedicate this to someone I knew and got intimate with, believe it or not, just through texting. I gave her the pet name “Mushroom” for the simple reason that just like mushrooms she just popped up suddenly in my life; would suddenly vanished and popped up again, in my cellphone, that is.

Mushrooms

It neither came from a plant nor an animal;
Some are poisonous and others are medicinal;
Some may cause asthma attack, quite dangerous,
But others are edible and very delicious.
You may see one in a rotten tree bark,
Or in a forest ground glowing in the dark.
Those who fear them have fungaphobia,
But modern man wants them topping a pizza.
Buttons, toadstools, rat’s ears, fairy’s brooms.
What am I talking about? What else – mushrooms!

 
(This was written as an introduction poem, but was not included in the published article.)



Also in this MOD September 2012 issue is a short article about the “Sunset by the (Manila) Bay.”
 
The following last paragraph was part of the submitted article but was edited out:

An Interesting Note to Ponder
          When our national hero Dr. Jose Rizal was executed by the Spaniards at Bagumbayan (which was near the shoreline of Manila Bay), he turned around from facing Manila Bay and look up to the east, to the rising sun. Yes, indeed, to the rising sun. Today, would it not be better to look at the Rizal Monument, in that same place, and see the sunrise at dawn rather than sitting on the baywalk and waiting to see the sunset at dusk?


 
 
“The GOD of gods, the LORD, speaks. He calls the earth from the rising to the setting sun..... Call to me in times of trouble. I will save you, and you will honor Me.” – Psalms 50:1 & 15, The Everyday Bible, New Century Version.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment